What to feed a baby when they have diarrhea
What to feed a baby when they have diarrhea; Diarrhea is usually caused by various viral and bacterial infections in the intestines. Diarrhea bacteria enter the human stomach through contaminated food and water. Diarrheal germs are transmitted from the feces of an infected person by hand, by flies or cockroaches, and sometimes directly through food and water. Others also get diarrhea if they consume this contaminated food or water.
Dehydration and salt deficiency caused by diarrhea is the main treatment. Dehydration can be eliminated by eating saline. Patients with signs of severe dehydration should be treated with appropriate intravenous saline. For this, it is better to admit the patient to the hospital.
What is diarrhea?
Diarrhea is loose stools three times a day or more than usual. Diarrhea causes water and salt-like substances to escape from the body. Dehydration and salt deficiency occur in the body. If dehydration and salt deficiency are not met in time, the patient may die.
How to stop diarrhea in kids fast?
- Use sanitary latrines for defecation.
- Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap after using the toilet and before eating.
- Wash hands before preparing and serving food. Also wash the used dishes, spoons, and bowls well. Use safe water for these tasks.
- Breastfeed the baby exclusively until six months of age.
- Avoid eating stale food, moldy food, and open food, sherbet, or fruit juice.
- If cooked food is left out for too long, pathogens will grow faster. So eat food hot. Cool the extra food and keep it in the fridge. Reheat well when eating later
- Drink safe tubewell water or boiled water in a clean container. To sterilize the water by boiling, it should be boiled for 15 to 20 minutes after the water starts boiling on the stove. When the water is cold, keep it in an earthen pitcher or glass jar or bottle. It is better not to use plastic bottles.
SEE MORE ARTICLE: 6 Week Model Body Workout Plan With PDF File
Diet for children with diarrhea
- Energy-dense foods:
Energy-dense foods like fat, yogurt, and cereal are more beneficial. They are well absorbed in our body even during diarrhea. Therefore, small amounts of easily available high-energy foods can be fed. Try feeding foods that your baby likes or is familiar with over and over again. If desired, rice or bread can be mixed with a little vegetable oil to increase the energy content of the meal.
- Foods rich in potassium:
It is very important to eat foods that are high in potassium, as this will restore the potassium lost from the body due to diarrhea. Fruits like lentils, bananas, mangoes, amaranth, papaya, coconut milk, and sour fruits are rich in potassium.
Probiotics are an excellent food to protect the digestive tract from diarrheal infections. This food contains live bacteria,
which compete with harmful bacteria causing a deficiency in their diet. This kills the infectious bacteria. Yogurt is a probiotic. Besides, you can also buy probiotics from the pharmacy on the doctor’s advice.
What should not be eaten if the child has diarrhea?
Certain foods should be avoided during diarrhea. These include –
- Foods are high in fiber such as relatively firm fruits or vegetables, and whole grain cereals.
- Spicy food.
- Foods high in sugar can also aggravate diarrhea.
- Any milk other than mother’s milk; Better not to feed directly, dairy products like curd can be given.
- Diarrhea makes the body very weak. At this time it is important to restore energy to the body. Therefore, saline and other fluids
- It is also important to eat proper solid food. It will speed up recovery by regaining strength.